When April Fools’ Day rolls around, I always have a blast coming up with new ways of turning sweets into savory foods! This fast food meal made of cake, cookies, and icing is what started this strange obsession for me a few years ago, but this spaghetti and meatballs cookie might be my favorite so far 🙂
Since April 1st also happens to be Easter Sunday this year, I figured what better way to fool your friends and family than with deviled eggs?!
These sneaky snacks are made with a sweet milk gelatin filled with cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with edible red color dust. Watch the video below to learn how to make them!
Egg White Recipe (2 dozen eggs):
- 2 packets (½ oz) gelatin
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon of almond extract (optional)
Egg Yolk Recipe (this will make more than enough for 2 dozen eggs, but since it’s basically just cream cheese frosting, you can freeze the leftovers and use it on a cake another time)
- ½ cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 1 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Yellow and orange food coloring (I used Wilton Color Right)
- Add 2 packets (½ oz) gelatin to ½ cup milk. Set aside.
- Combine ½ cup of milk with 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk.
- Add a pinch of salt and a ½ teaspoon of almond extract (optional).
- Place the mixture on low heat while stirring constantly just until the mixture is hot.
- Add the gelatin mixture and stir until it dissolves (strain it through a fine sieve if some lumps remain). Transfer the mixture to a measuring cup or pitcher.
- Pour the mixture into a greased mold (I used a plastic deviled egg platter). Chill the mold in the refrigerator until firm (at least 4 hours).
- To make the filling, beat ½ cup of softened butter with 1 cup of softened cream cheese. Add a teaspoon of vanilla.
- Gradually add 4 cups of confectioners’ sugar and beat the mixture until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add yellow and orange food coloring until you reach the color of egg yolk. Chill the filling in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Unmold the eggs by loosening the edges with a spatula and gently peeling them away from the mold.
- Make room for the filling with a melon baller.
- Arrange the eggs on a platter.
- Fill the eggs with a star tip number 21.
Sprinkle the eggs with red edible color dust.