- Roll out cookie recipe (my cookie recipe is available in the tutorial shop)
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Flood consistency royal icing
- Scribe tool
- Round decorating tip 2
- Red = Americolor tulip red + burgundy + a touch of black
- White = a touch of Wilton golden yellow
- Pink = Wilton aster mauve from the garden tone set
(UPDATE: Since I first wrote this post in 2014, Wilton has come out with their Color Right set, which I now use regularly. Find it here on Amazon).
Watch the video to see how to decorate these Valentine’s Day cookie designs using the wet on wet royal icing technique. See the written instructions below.—
- Mix 3 colors of flood consistency royal icing: Pink, white, and red.
- Ice a heart-shaped cookie with pink flood consistency royal icing and a decorating tip 2.
- Use a scribe tool to help evenly distribute the icing.
- Pipe dots of white flood consistency royal icing with a decorating tip 2 while the pink icing is still wet.
- To make hearts, ice the cookie with pink icing and pipe dots of red.
- Drag the scribe tool through the dots to create hearts while the icing is still wet.
- Make a marbled design by piping stripes of white and pink flood consistency icing in wet red royal icing.
- Drag the scribe tool up and down through the lines to create a marbled effect.
- To make lips, pipe ovals of red flood consistency icing in wet white icing.
- Use the scribe tool to shape the ovals into lips.
- Allow the icing to dry completely (6-8 hours) before handling the cookies.
Click on the images below for more cookie projects!